FRANCE: Country staggers under yet more auto job cuts as Goodyear axes Amiens plant
Goodyear says it has started a consultation process with a view to closing its Amiens plant in northern France with the potential loss of nearly 1,200 jobs.
"Goodyear presented its plan today (31 January) to the Works Council to close [the] Amiens plant," a Goodyear spokesman in the US told just-auto.
"It remains subject [to] consultation with the employee representatives at both the local and European level."
No estimate is yet available of the timing for closure, but the plans have provoked fury at the hardline French union, CGT, which noted the factory had been the subject of a "judicial battle for five years."
A statement from the CGT's National Federation of Chemical Industries, noted: "The question asked and goes beyond the scope of Goodyear, to join alongside Renault, Arkema, Peugeot, Sanofi, Rhodia, Michelin, is: 'What is the government doing? What [is the] national industrial policy?
"It has [had] numerous attempts during the past five years to [find] a solution at Amiens to safeguard its competitiveness and reduce high cost - this is the only option they had left," said the Goodyear spokesman.
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (GT) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
Renault has posted an operating margin of EUR583m (US$628m) million in the first half of 2013, although recorded a provision of EUR512m to cover its exposure in Iran....
Global Auto Components industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also ...
Sales growth of 34% in the first half of this year has catapulted Suzuki into the UK top 20, ahead of Volvo and Mazda and nibbling at the heels of Renault....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- PSA issues new business plan
- NYIAS DEBUTS: Multiple updates after 1st Media Day
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM HR and comms chiefs quit
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global electrified light vehicles market 2007 to 2018