FRANCE: Country staggers under yet more auto job cuts as Goodyear axes Amiens plant
Goodyear says it has started a consultation process with a view to closing its Amiens plant in northern France with the potential loss of nearly 1,200 jobs.
"Goodyear presented its plan today (31 January) to the Works Council to close [the] Amiens plant," a Goodyear spokesman in the US told just-auto.
"It remains subject [to] consultation with the employee representatives at both the local and European level."
No estimate is yet available of the timing for closure, but the plans have provoked fury at the hardline French union, CGT, which noted the factory had been the subject of a "judicial battle for five years."
A statement from the CGT's National Federation of Chemical Industries, noted: "The question asked and goes beyond the scope of Goodyear, to join alongside Renault, Arkema, Peugeot, Sanofi, Rhodia, Michelin, is: 'What is the government doing? What [is the] national industrial policy?
"It has [had] numerous attempts during the past five years to [find] a solution at Amiens to safeguard its competitiveness and reduce high cost - this is the only option they had left," said the Goodyear spokesman.
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Car and Van Aftermarket Tires in Europe to grow at a CAGR of 1 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the inc...
Renault has posted an operating margin of EUR583m (US$628m) million in the first half of 2013, although recorded a provision of EUR512m to cover its exposure in Iran....
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Tire market in India to grow at a CAGR of 15.57 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the steady economic gr...
Sales growth of 34% in the first half of this year has catapulted Suzuki into the UK top 20, ahead of Volvo and Mazda and nibbling at the heels of Renault....
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris, the US, Sweden...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Kia Sportage
- Special management briefing: Paris reflections (2)
- Special management briefing: Paris reflections (1)
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- Tesla outsells rivals as Europe sales rise 6%
- JLR looks to increase home supply content
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Ford announces new engine investment for Dagenham
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)