AUSTRALIA: Commodore-based Chevrolet SS makes debut
Holden's new Chevrolet export for the US has been revealed.
Based on the new VF Commodore and manufactured in Elizabeth, South Australia, the SS is Chevrolet's first V8, rear-wheel-drive performance sedan since 1996.
"The Chevrolet brand was largely built on the strength of rear-drive performance sedans, yet it's been 17 years since we've offered one," said Mark Reuss, president of General Motors North America. "The all-new Chevrolet SS fills that void and fills it better than any other vehicle in the brand's rich history. The comfort, convenience, spaciousness and V8 power make the SS a total performance package unlike any other on the road today."
The SS global rear-wheel drive architecture is the foundation for the Camaro and Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle.
The SS is powered by the LS3 Chevrolet V8, expected to deliver 415 horsepower and 415 lb-ft of torque.
The LS3 is coupled to a six-speed automatic transmission, which can be shifted manually using TAPshift paddles mounted on the steering wheel.
The SS is the first Chevrolet to offer automatic parking assist, which provides hands-free parking help.
The SS will be available in the fourth quarter of 2013, with prices to be announced.
After being entertained for the last couple of weeks by Germany v France over Mercedes' choice of air conditioner refrigerant (colleague Simon Warburton has now learned so much about R134a v r1234yf h...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
South Africa's automotive employers body is warning of the impact on future export potential as more than 31,000 assembly line workers strike indefinitely next Monday (19 August), paralysing large swa...
General Motors has shut down operations in Egypt due to the violence in the country....
To cope with growing demand for the Chevrolet Cruze, General Motors (GM) has cancelled plans to keep its Lordstown assembly plant in Ohio closed during the last week of August....
Peugeot Australia reportedly is eyeing newly closed General Motors Opel dealers to plug gaps in its growing sales and service network....
The Australian Manufacturing Workers' Union has called on the government to provide certainty to the local auto industry after General Motors Holden workers voted to accept a variation to their curren...
- COMMENT: Diesel not out in London and Paris
- Management briefing: 48V mild hybrids (2)
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes smart brand's last chance?
- Volvo UK specs up seven seat XC90 redesign
- ANALYSIS: Europe's fragile recovery continues
- Honda chief quits
- Geneva show list updated
- Land Rover updates Evoque
- UK: Aston Martin to reveal future models strategy
- Ricardo unveils new prototype electric motor
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates - Latest Monthly Update
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)