HONG KONG: Chery keen to develop its own high-end brand
The South China Morning Post quotes one as saying that a company such as JLR would not be happy putting its best technology into a joint-venture brand.
What is more likely is that Chery will develop an existing model with some luxury ‘tweaks’ and a new logo, similar to what other jvs have done in China.
As well as a new factory, Chery and JLR will also set up a research and development centre and an engine plant.
Chery has also announced an alliance with Guangzhou Automobile, a partner of Toyota and Honda, to share core technology and management experience. Analysts told the Morning Post that Chery's strategy is to work with local and foreign partners to realise its plan to transform itself into an upmarket manufacturer – however such projects demand huge investments and are therefore a challenge for Chery, which has been short of cash.
The venture with JLR, which plans to produce the first batch of 130,000 vehicles in 2014, will lower the cost and the prices for Britain's top luxury sedan and SUV brands in China which has become the biggest overseas market and the most important growth engine for the British company, now owned by India’s Tata Motors.
From January to October, JLR sold 53,186 cars in the country, up 81% from the same period last year.
I wouldn't have thought that, with the current state of play in the European auto industry, there'd be too much niggle in the union ranks. But we've reported on a bit this week....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive starter motor and alternator sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forec...
BorgWarner will provide British engineered and made turbochargers for Jaguar Land Rover's (JLR's) new four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, scheduled to launch in 2015....
Tata Motors said Jaguar Land Rover sales in April 2013 rose 15% year on year to 28,874 units - 5,334 Jaguar and 23,540 Land Rover....
Jaguar has announced details of the global advertising and marketing campaign - tagline 'Your Turn' - to launch the F-Type....
Further collaboration is needed between OEMs and component manufacturers in order to realise economies of scale in the automotive industry, says motors and fans supplier, Ebm-papst....
- ANALYSIS - Jaguar takes on Porsche with F-PACE
- THE WEEK - aftermarket player and new products
- Autumn facelift beckons for Citroen's Family hit
- General Motors' platform strategy decoded
- Peugeot steps up a gear with new 3008
- Maserati to double Levante SUV output
- Magna to build aluminium casting facility in UK
- Ford says new Fusion hybrid has 610 miles of range
- Romanian PM asks Ford for more
- Volkswagen nominates 55 FAST suppliers
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market - forecasts to 2030
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (12-month membership)
- Global light vehicle roof systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle turbochargers market - forecasts to 2030