UK: Car sales in Western Europe down again in October
Car sales in Western Europe fell by 4.9% in October under the weight of Europe's economic problems, according to data released by LMC Automotive.
The analysts at LMC noted that the second half of 2012 is proving to be even worse than the first half of the year for the West European car market.
In Seasonally Adjusted Annualised Rate (SAAR) of sales terms, the car market stood at just 11.2m units a year as the market continues struggle against the current economic headwinds.
A look across the major national markets provides little cheer.
The French car market recorded the lowest selling rate since December 2008 last month at 1.85m units a year. Meanwhile, Italy recorded another sub-1.4m units a year selling rate.
While the German car market was up last month by 0.5% on last year, extra selling days in October of this year helped to mask the underlying downward trend. The year-to-date car market in Germany is down by 1.6%.
The Spanish car market remains decidedly weak, LMC said, though some respite is imminent with the new scrappage incentive.
The one main bright spot is the UK car market. In October, it was up by 12.1% on last year with an annualised sale rate of 2.1m units a year. LMC noted that the private side of the market is the real driver for growth, helped to an extent by improved consumer confidence from earlier in the year. There is also probably an element of buyers returning to the market having postponed new car purchase due to the economic turbulence over the last few years, LMC added.
LMC's forecast for 2012 is for an 8% drop to the West European car market followed by a further decline of 2.7% in 2013.
Sectors: Vehicle markets
- Q&A: Volvo XC90 chief engineer Håkan Ivarsson
- RESEARCH SNAPSHOT: Review of front-end modules
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- COMMENT: No wizards needed at US$100 a barrel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Minding the shop
- Arrested Toyota executive quits
- Magna Steyr to build vehicles for JLR
- "Levelling off" continues in China's car market
- GM pleased judge tosses out 'ignition switch' suit
- SUVs continue driving US sales growth
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2029