GERMANY: Bochum employees reject Opel deal
IG Metall member employees at the Opel Bochum plant in Germany have voted against a labour agreement that would have kept the plant operational as a components producer when vehicle production finishes next year. Opel says the plant will now close when Zafira Tourer production ends in 2014.
“We very much regret that the employees in Bochum did not accept an attractive offer,” said Manfred Gellrich, Director of the Opel plant in Bochum. “A huge opportunity has now been missed.”
Opel said that no further negotiations on the proposed labour agreement will take place. The production of the Zafira Tourer and the exclusion of compulsory separations will run out by the end of 2014.
Acceptance of Opel’s offer would have meant the conversion of the Bochum location to a components plant and the expansion of the warehouse centre. This would have secured at least 1,200 tariff-bound Opel jobs in Bochum in the long-term, Opel said.
Opel also said in a statement that the development agency “Bochum Perspektive 2022”, in which Opel is making both financial and personnel investments, is unaffected. The goal of this initiative is to settle new companies and technologies in Bochum and the region, Opel said.
Union workers at GM's Dudenhofen, Russelsheim and Kaiserslauten plants have voted with large majorities in favour of GM's reorganisation plan.
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive safety systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this...
Automotive Manufacturing in Poland industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The prof...
Automotive Manufacturing in Germany industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The pro...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris, the US, Sweden...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Kia Sportage
- Special management briefing: Paris reflections (2)
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Tesla outsells rivals as Europe sales rise 6%
- Ford announces new engine investment for Dagenham
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)