GERMANY/JAPAN: BMW, Toyota, collaborating on batteries, diesels
- BMW Group and Toyota "agree to mid-to-long-term research collaboration in environment-friendly technologies"
- BMW to supply 1.6- and two-litre fuel efficient diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe
BMW Group (BMW) and Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) on Thursday (1 December) said they had signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) concerning a mid-to-long-term collaboration on next-generation environment-friendly technologies.
Under the MOU, the two companies agreed to collaborate on research into next-generation lithium-ion batteries. They have also agreed to identify and discuss other possible collaborative projects.
Meanwhile, Toyota Motor Europe (TME) and BMW have agreed a contract for BMW to supply 1.6- and two-litre diesel engines to TME starting in 2014. The engines will be installed in Toyota vehicles for sale in Europe.
"Through this agreement, Toyota plans to expand its European lineup and sales of fuel-efficient, low CO2-emission diesel-powered vehicles," the automakers said.
Toyota has previously supplied a 1.4-litre diesel to BMW which used it in its first generation Mini along with a Chrysler Brazil-made petrol engine. BMW now buys Mini petrol engines from a PSA-Ford venture and makes the diesel unit itself.
BMW chairman Norbert Reithofer said: “Toyota is the leading provider of environment-friendly series technology in the volume segment and the BMW Group is the most innovative and sustainable manufacturer of premium automobiles.
"We are now joining forces to further develop environment-friendly technologies and to expand our innovation leadership in each of our segments. Supplying Toyota with our fuel efficient and dynamic diesel engines represents another important step in the planned expansion of our sales activities for engines and powertrain systems.”
TMC president Akio Toyoda added: “It is a great joy and a thrill to enter into this mid-to-long-term collaborative relationship with BMW, a company with its own culture and history from its many years of car manufacturing in Europe, and a company that makes cars that are fun to drive. In the spirit of contributing to furthering the development of the auto industry and society, both companies will bring their wide-ranging knowledge - starting with that concerning environmental technologies - to the table and make ever-better cars.”
An updated list of world premiere concepts and production models which appeared at the Paris motor show's 27 & 28 September press preview days....
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global electric vehicles and OE starter battery sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market si...
Fiat is open to expanding its newly announced partnership with Mazda Motor and building the Japanese automaker's vehicles at Fiat and Chrysler factories worldwide....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global diesel technologies sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this repor...
Toyota Motor said on Friday it plans to roll out eight models of compact cars for emerging markets, starting with the Etios that was launched in India in December 2010....
Mini is finding its feet in China after a slow start following its introduction in 2005. Back then it recorded just 430 sales but last year it hit a record 15,500....
BMW and its Chinese joint venture partner Brilliance have opened a new plant at Shenyang....
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- 2014 BEIJING SHOW: world debuts list updated
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Tata restructuring production at all plants
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028