DETROIT: Bentley close to deciding on adding an SUV
A final decision on whether Bentley will go ahead with its first SUV, based on the concept from the 2011 Frankfurt show, will be made in the "relatively near future," said head of sales and marketing Kevin Rose.
"We have always said that if we decide to do it we would like it by 2015, and it would take two to two-and-a-half years to complete," he said.
"We are working as if it is going to go ahead, and I am optimistic that it will, but this would be a big investment for the group and we would be going into a market which currently does not exist."
An SUV would be "significant for volumes," said Rose, with the potential to push sales way beyond the company's 2007 record of 10,000.
"Thirty per cent of our customers have an SUV and we estimate that 90% of our sales would be capture business," Rose added. "The US would be our biggest market to begin with, with China and the Middle East picking up."
Bentley is targeting a customer base above that for the new Range Rover and the Porsche Cayenne. Maserati also plans a super-luxury SUV to challenge the Bentley, but Rose said: "We will still be the first to market, I think."
Looking further ahead, Rose sees the potential for a longer wheelbase version of the flagship Mulsanne, when the next-generation model comes along at the end of the decade, with the option of an electronic separator between driver and rear compartment.
"It's something we at looking at for China," he said.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global cockpits and instrumentation sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use t...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global 4WD and AWD sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gai...
- Has Audi reached a model proliferation limit?
- What now for docked Hoegh Osaka cargo?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: New Hondas and the ship's up
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Honda CR-V update
- RESEARCH ANALYSIS: Review of instrumentation
- JLR recreates 1948 line for Defender plant tour
- Most cars unscathed by Osaka drama: ship owner
- Automakers anxious to learn Osaka cars fate: Hoegh
- Honda changes air bag supplier from Takata
- BMW appoints new head of Mini brand
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle HVAC market- forecasts to 2029