DETROIT: Bentley back on track for record sales
Bentley could match its 2007 record of 10,000 sales in 2013, according to global sales and marketing chief Kevin Rose.
The Volkswagen owned, Crewe, England-based company was badly hit by the aftermath of the 2008 banking crisis after a period of impressive growth and has been fighting to recover lost ground ever since.
But it sold just over 8,500 cars in 2012 and has promised to back this up with double-digit growth this year. "That could be anywhere between 10% and 99%," said Rose.
"If we get back to 10,000 sales this year I would be delighted but we are under no pressure to achieve that immediately. We are confident we have the right strategy to do it sooner rather than later."
In 2012, sales were up in all markets for all models except the Continental Flying Spur which comes up for replacement this year. In a first for Bentley, its successor will initially go on sale in China followed, soon afterwards, by other major markets.
Russia saw the largest increase over 2011 last year - 50% - followed by China (23%) and the US (21%). Germany achieved 12 % growth and and the UK 7%.
Rose believes that, long-term, Bentley is capable of more than 10,000 sales a year particularly if the go-ahead is given for a luxury SUV based on the 2011 Frankfurt show concept.
"We can persuade the finance guys to invest in extra capacity if we need it, but first we have to be certain where we are going to be in seven, eight or nine years' time," he said.
The main engineering challenges in any braking system are to withstand the extremely high temperatures involved, remove the very large amount of heat generated during hard deceleration and minimise th...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global cockpits and instrumentation sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use t...
It's a grim thought but every year the equivalent of the entire population of a small city is killed in traffic accidents in the EU alone. Consequently, there is a clear need for further improvements ...
Datamonitor's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organ...
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
Over 500 vehicles have been updated in our live database of current and future new passenger car product over the past week, and we've added new future models....
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- PARIS DEBUTS: Peugeot Quartz concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)