US: Autoliv to expand US facilities
Autoliv is expanding its US (Utah) production facilities.
In addition to the recently announced new propellant factory in China, Autoliv is adding a sixth processing facility at its Promontory, Utah location to meet growing demand for airbag gas generant. The company also announced plans to expand its Tremonton, Utah facility to keep pace with market growth for initiators and micro gas generators used in its airbag and seatbelt products.
The new facility in Promontory will add 20% more capacity to Autoliv's existing global gas generant production capabilities. This capacity increase will position the company to take advantage of growing worldwide demand for Autoliv airbag inflators. Capital investment is expected to cost approximately US$13m.
Autoliv Promontory has been at the heart of the company's airbag operations since the late 1960's when the company began the airbag industry's pioneering research to use solid propellants for inflating airbags. Today, the facility produces gas generant used to inflate the more than 50 million driver, passenger, side and inflatable curtain airbags that Autoliv builds in the Americas annually. It also houses the company's state-of-the-art Airbag Recovery Centre for the deactivation and recycling of airbags.
The company is also adding 33,000 sq. ft. (3,065 m2) to its Tremonton facility - a global producer of initiators and micro gas generators for automotive safety products. The majority of floor space added in this $5m expansion is slated for new production lines which could supply up to 30% more capacity when the space is fully utilised. Current plans call for just two new lines to be completed in 2013 adding 10% more initiator capacity.
The Tremonton facility has experienced double digit year-over-year growth for the past three years and expects this trend to continue into 2013. As well as enhancing initiator capacity, the plant is adding shipping and receiving docks to ensure timely distribution to Autoliv customers around the world. When completed in 2013, the two expanded Utah facilities expect to add nearly 50 employees to the labour force.
Autoliv recently announced another expansion of it's global airbag propellant capacity. It is a completely new facility in China that will raise this capacity by 25% on top of the enlargement of the US facility. This is an investment of $33m, Autoliv's single largest capital expenditure ever.
Autoliv has set out revised long-term growth targets based on its own position in the market and trends in the penetration rate of its core product offerings in automotive passive and active safety sy...
To support the rapid growth in vehicle production and airbag fitment rates in Asia, Autoliv has begun the construction of an airbag manufacturing plant in Chonburi, 70km east of Bangkok....
- Has Audi reached a model proliferation limit?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: New Hondas and the ship's up
- What now for docked Hoegh Osaka cargo?
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Honda CR-V update
- ANALYSIS: Europe's car market in 2014, and 2015
- Automakers anxious to learn Osaka cars fate: Hoegh
- Salvers look to slash Hoegh list to 5° for tow
- Hoegh Osaka due back in Southampton at 17:00 GMT
- CHICAGO DEBUTS: Mysterious Mitsubishi teased
- Volkswagen Golf stays top of European chart
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029