Total sales for the month were 143,000 of which Toyota took 16,800, up 21.9% from a year ago, and Honda 12,900, a 16% increase.
Ford sales fell 8%, including an 11.9% drop in car sales to 5,000 and a 6.9% t drop in truck sales to 18,600.
Total September Ford sales of 23,600 compared with sales of 25,656 in the same period last year. Year-to-date sales were down 0.1% at 219,182 vehicles.
Chrysler saw sales rise 2% to 19,555, taking year-to-date sales to 194,600, a 6% increase.
Sectors: Vehicle markets
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Details of concepts and new models which made their global debuts on Saturday 20 April at Auto Shanghai's media preview day....
Multiple concepts and new models are making their global debuts at the New York auto show. Public days are 29 March to 7 April....
Ford said it expects to achieve operating margins of about 10% in North America this year, down from 10.4% in 2012, because it expects to sell more smaller cars rather than more profitable trucks....
Kia's Soul, appearing in second-generation form at New York, has the potential to become the Korean brand's equivalent of the Mini, said the man who headed the design team which created it....
Kia's prospects of continuing its meteoric sales growth in its leading market, America, are going to be stifled this year by lack of spare capacity....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS - platforms to go to
- General Motors' platform strategy decoded
- Geely/Volvo architecture cooperation bears fruit
- Peugeot steps up a gear with new 3008
- Delphi Powertrain VP on compliance - Q&A
- Peugeot reveals revamped 3008 compact SUV
- US and UK motorists divided on driverless cars
- Tesla chooses Mando for autonomous technology
- Geely raises capital for electric London cabs
- Volvo previews 2017 40 series on CMA platform