INDIA: Audi starts Q7 assembly
Audi has started Indian assembly of the Q7 luxury SUV at its Aurangabad plant, in the Indian state of Maharashtra.
Up to 1,000 will be built a year to supply the Indian market. After the A4, A6 and Q5, this is the fourth model to be assembled in India.
"Local production of the Audi Q7 is part of our long-term growth strategy in India, one of the most promising auto markets in the world," said Audi production chief Frank Dreves.
"The very good infrastructure in the plant, efficient working processes, a qualified workforce and a well developed logistics environment, along with the surging growth of the Indian market, were the factors that motivated us to expand the Aurangabad plant."
The Q7 is made in a newly constructed hall at the Volkswagen group plant Škoda Auto India. Production of the Q3 in the new 20,000 sq m (215,278 sq ft) extension is planned from mid-2013.
"Local production of the Q7 means Audi India is now building a second Q model locally. That will reduce waiting times for our customers and we will be able to offer a wider range of versions," said Audi India chief Michael Perschke.
Increasing demand for the Q SUVs has had a major impact on the brand's growth in India: in the first 10 months, the company increased sales 55% to 7,273 units, well ahead of the 5,511 cars sold in 2011.
Audi will have 25 dealerships throughout the country by the end of this year.
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive turbocharger sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this repo...
As the middle of the year gets closer, the the European automotive marketplace isn't getting any easier. By last year, Western Europe's car market had lost 3m units since its 2007 peak (a heady 14.8m...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Volkswagen Group is feeling the effects of mixed fortunes for automotive markets around the world. The group announced last week that first quarter revenue and operating profit were down, but has now ...
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- COMMENT: TPP legacy as Obama's Grand Projet?
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Toyota Prius added
- BMW launches smartphone wireless charging
- Uber hires car hacking engineers
- Suzuki-VW dispute over
- BAIC Motor to acquire Daimler stake
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report