INDIA: Audi starts Q7 assembly
Audi has started Indian assembly of the Q7 luxury SUV at its Aurangabad plant, in the Indian state of Maharashtra.
Up to 1,000 will be built a year to supply the Indian market. After the A4, A6 and Q5, this is the fourth model to be assembled in India.
"Local production of the Audi Q7 is part of our long-term growth strategy in India, one of the most promising auto markets in the world," said Audi production chief Frank Dreves.
"The very good infrastructure in the plant, efficient working processes, a qualified workforce and a well developed logistics environment, along with the surging growth of the Indian market, were the factors that motivated us to expand the Aurangabad plant."
The Q7 is made in a newly constructed hall at the Volkswagen group plant Škoda Auto India. Production of the Q3 in the new 20,000 sq m (215,278 sq ft) extension is planned from mid-2013.
"Local production of the Q7 means Audi India is now building a second Q model locally. That will reduce waiting times for our customers and we will be able to offer a wider range of versions," said Audi India chief Michael Perschke.
Increasing demand for the Q SUVs has had a major impact on the brand's growth in India: in the first 10 months, the company increased sales 55% to 7,273 units, well ahead of the 5,511 cars sold in 2011.
Audi will have 25 dealerships throughout the country by the end of this year.
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive turbocharger sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this repo...
As the middle of the year gets closer, the the European automotive marketplace isn't getting any easier. By last year, Western Europe's car market had lost 3m units since its 2007 peak (a heady 14.8m...
The analysts writing this report forecast the Global Automotive Camera Module market to reach US$1,554.72 million by 2016....
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
- Management briefing: Paris show preview
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: BMW i8
- Jaguar's XE spearheads new industrial strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris gets closer
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Renault Twingo
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda CR-V facelift
- EC gives Germany two months to comply with MAC
- Ford recalls 850,050 cars for airbag systems check
- JLR to start Brazil assembly with Discovery Sport?
- ZF UK axle factory marks 10 years of JLR supply
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report