CHINA: Audi AG sales surpass 400,000 units for first time in 2012
Audi set a new record in the Chinese market last year. Deliveries in China and Hong Kong exceeded the 400,000 mark for the first time, a 29.6 percent increase compared to the previous year. "In the year 2012, we continued the success story in our biggest sales market," stated Luca de Meo, Member of the Board of Management for Sales and Marketing. "With this record we have increased our lead over the competition, further strengthening our number one position in the premium segment in China."
The company set a new sales record for the A4 L, A6 L and Q5 model series built in Changchun: 322,700 vehicles for a year-on-year increase of 28.1 percent. With 89,488 deliveries, Audi Q5 sales increased by 64.9 percent. Also the A6 L, which underwent a model change in 2012, achieved a new record; 132,872 customers chose China's best-selling business sedan (up 17.3 percent). With 100,340 units sold, sales of the long version of the A4 rose 18.7 percent. All three models made in China lead their respective market segments, Audi says.
Sales volumes for imported Audi vehicles rose by 36.2 percent to 83,138. The Audi Q7 was particularly successful with 21,360 units sold (up 10 percent) as well as the Audi A8/S8 with 18,857 vehicles delivered (up 51.7 percent). The compact Audi Q3 SUV, available since mid-2012, managed 2,145 units delivered.
The dealer network was significantly expanded throughout the country last year. The number of dealerships was increased by 60 to approximately 290 in more than 130 cities - averaging more than one new opening every week.
This year, the company will celebrate "25 Audi years in China" together with its joint-venture partner FAW. Further market launches are planned, of the locally produced Audi Q3 for example. At the end of this year, production of automobiles will begin at our new site in Foshan in southern China.
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Volkswagen is recalling more vehicles with a gearbox problem in China supplementing a recall of 384,181 vehicles that started in April, according to China's quality watchdog....
Audi has introduced the RS 5 Coupe in India at a price of INR9.53m (US$159,950) (ex-showroom Mumbai). The automaker has decided to raise prices of its models by up to 3% to protect its margins as the ...
Total light vehicle sales last month came in at just over 1.4m, 9.1% ahead of June 2012. That works out to a seasonally adjusted annualised rate (SAAR) of 15.96m, the highest since November 2007, the ...
- ANALYSIS: Making sense of China's sales volatility
- COMMENT: McLaren comes of age
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Toyota's FCV cometh
- Briefing: Tomorrow's steering systems
- ANALYSIS: Kia 'thinks globally, acts locally'
- Mitsubishi ending US production
- FRANKFURT DEBUTS LIST: Ferrari 488 Spider added
- Delphi ramps up acquisitions
- FCA to recall 1,060,531 Ram trucks
- JCI confirms auto exit as supplier eddies swirl
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE tyres market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2030