JAPAN: Area 86 will be first stop for Toyota coupe buyers
Toyota GT-86 made its European debut at the Geneva show this month
Toyota will use a new sales method for its first completely new sports car in 13 years.
Called simply the 86 [in homage to the 86 model code Corolla of the 1980s], the compact coupe will go on sale in Japan on 6 April at 283 dealerships nationwide. The outlets, collectively dubbed 'Area 86', will have a sales area dedicated to the car and be staffed by specialists who can answer any questions about optional equipment, modifications or requests for test drives.
To prepare for the start of sales, Toyota has brought together technical staff from affiliated dealerships for study sessions about the car's design and performance.
Most Area 86 outlets will be in larger dealerships although one dealer, Netz-Higashi Nagoya, plans to take the sales push one step further by opening a shop specialising only in the 86 in a space adjacent to its Nishikicho store in the city of Toyota, where the carmaker is headquartered.
Netz-Higashi Nagoya hopes the shop, which will have a floor space of 160 sq m, will serve as a place where car fans can get together and exchange information with the staff and among themselves.
Dealers are reporting a lot of interest from young buyers. Toyota president and CEO Akio Toyoda, said: "It is said that young people today have little interest in automobiles. But I don't think it is that they have developed a dislike for cars, but rather that automakers have tended to move away from young people and car lovers."
Toyoda said he wants the release of the 86 to be taken as a "message that Toyota will be a company for car lovers again".
Toyota dealerships have received orders for roughly 7,000 86s in the first month in which pre-orders have been accepted, 10 times the monthly sales target.
The model is also built as a Subaru and both will be exported.
The obvious highlight of a very busy first-week-back-from-summer-hols was Ford's new product extravaganza in Amsterdam on Thursday (6 September) which was most interesting and had me thinking back to ...
An updated list of world premiere concepts and production models which appeared at the Paris motor show's 27 & 28 September press preview days....
New vehicle sales data from the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries showed government purchases continued to weaken last month with reductions in comparative monthly and year to date sales across...
While new passenger car sales of 5,959 for August were only 192 units (3.3%) ahead of August 2011 (5,767) this volume was the highest August since 2007 when sales were hitting peak levels before the g...
Vehicles sales in China in August rose 8.3% from a year earlier, according to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM)....
Sales of new light vehicles in Russia grew 15% in August, according to the Association of European Businesses (AEB)....
In a further sign that growth in the Chinese car market is slowing, Toyota reported that sales by its two local joint venture partners fell 15% in August from a year earlier, a second consecutive mont...
New vehicle sales in Vietnam fell by 55.7% to 6,666 units in August, compared with the 9,616 units sold a year earlier, according to data released by the Vietnam Automotive Manufacturers Association....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- ANALYSIS: Honda's BR-V could be The Next Big Thing
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: smart & VW Golf updates
- JLR expects "many" of 5,800 Tianjin cars damaged
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- GM strike ends as Mercedes truck workers walk
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030