GERMANY: Angry Plastic Omnium fires bitter shot at automakers as 200 posts axed
Plastic Omnium is to end bumper production at its Eisenach-Thuringia plant in Germany, with the loss of 200 jobs, but has angrily criticised European automakers for the situation.
A tersely-worded statement blames the "decline in the European automobile market and the carmakers' industrial strategies," with Plastic Omnium saying these policies have led to "persistent excess production capacity in Western Europe."
Local management has started consultations with employee representatives, while the move does not affect the plant's fuel tank and fuel system operations.
Plastic Omnium will continue to maintain a presence in Germany with nine production facilities and four development centres employing a total of 1,400 people.
Companies: Plastic Omnium
Behr Group, the air conditioning and engine cooling systems supplier embroiled in an anti-trust investigation, reported that 2012 sales were EUR3.7bn, on a par with 2011....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global OE front end modules sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report ...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive safety systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this...
Plastic Omnium is accelerating the pace of its European bumper production downsizing with today's (6 March) news it is to shutter its fender manufacturing plant in Herentals, Belgium, this summer with...
- Jaguar Land Rover's lightweight future
- INTERVIEW: Ford of Europe's chief, Stephen Odell
- GENEVA WRAP: Europe still struggles, future bright
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: iOS (and Android) in the car
- INTERVIEW: Ford UK fleet director, Phil Hollins
- 'One Ford' has kept us alive in Europe
- GENEVA: Jaguar names 'small' saloon XE
- EXCLUSIVE: Renault axes another EV
- GENEVA: Apple launches car iOS
- Ukraine crisis sparks Russia 'downward pressures'
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Dacia: The no frills automotive brand, that is becoming a serious world contender
- China’s One-Child Policy is Shaping a New Automotive Landscape
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle HVAC market 2008 to 2028