GERMANY: Angry Plastic Omnium fires bitter shot at automakers as 200 posts axed
Plastic Omnium is to end bumper production at its Eisenach-Thuringia plant in Germany, with the loss of 200 jobs, but has angrily criticised European automakers for the situation.
A tersely-worded statement blames the "decline in the European automobile market and the carmakers' industrial strategies," with Plastic Omnium saying these policies have led to "persistent excess production capacity in Western Europe."
Local management has started consultations with employee representatives, while the move does not affect the plant's fuel tank and fuel system operations.
Plastic Omnium will continue to maintain a presence in Germany with nine production facilities and four development centres employing a total of 1,400 people.
Companies: Plastic Omnium
Behr Group, the air conditioning and engine cooling systems supplier embroiled in an anti-trust investigation, reported that 2012 sales were EUR3.7bn, on a par with 2011....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global OE front end modules sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report ...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive safety systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this...
Plastic Omnium is accelerating the pace of its European bumper production downsizing with today's (6 March) news it is to shutter its fender manufacturing plant in Herentals, Belgium, this summer with...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Kia Sportage
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Daimler restructures cooperation with Tesla
- LA DEBUTS: BMW X5 M & BMW X6 M
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report