UK: 2012 new car market tops 2m and hits four-year high
- UK new car registrations rose 5.3% in 2012 to 2,044,609 units, boosted by strong consumer demand;
- Annual volume was highest since 2008, and recorded largest percentage increase since 2001;
- Growth in 2012 followed 12.9% rise in private demand;
- New car market was still 14.9% below 2007, pre-recession, level of 2.4m units;
- Average new car CO2 emissions fell to new low of 133.1g/km, 22.7% down on a decade ago;
- Market ended 2012 with 3.7% rise in December to 123,557 units.
The UK new car market rose 5.3% in 2012 to over 2m units, the best result since recession struck in 2008. The positive result contrasts with declines in other major European national car markets.
“More than two million new cars were registered in the UK during 2012, up 5.3% on the previous 12 months and the best result since recession struck in 2008,” said Paul Everitt, SMMT Chief Executive. “Boosted by strong consumer demand, the market grew at its fastest rate for 11 years with innovative, fuel-efficient cars keeping buyers in showrooms. Looking ahead to 2013, we anticipate the market will hold firm, with manufacturers and dealers working hard to deliver quality and value to motorists.”
The gain in 2012 was centred on the private retail side of the car market, which was up 12.9% in the year. The SMMT said that “regular replacement cycles, offers and incentives and some buyers shifting from buying used to new cars could have contributed to the upturn”. Some industry analysts have also pointed to dealer 'pre-registrations' as a factor behind the growth of new registrations over the past year.
The SMMT admitted that the 2013 market is set to be 'challenging' and said it anticipates a performance on-par with 2012.
David Raistrick, UK Manufacturing Leader at Deloitte, warned that market growth achieved during December was (at +3.7%, year-on-year) somewhat lower than the preceding months and may be an indication of more challenging times ahead.
“With mixed messages coming from economic statistics – unemployment numbers falling whilst output data hovers around the borders of low growth/contraction, it is unlikely that the UK will see any major growth in new car sales during 2013,” he said “Indeed, following the best year for new car sales since 2007, there is a strong likelihood that 2013 will see a reduction in the numbers of new cars sold. Artificial stimuli, such as pre-registrations or self-registrations, are not possible on a sustained basis so we expect them to decrease during 2013.”
The 2012 outturn was 1.6% ahead of SMMT’s 2.013m unit forecast, as set in October 2012 and 6.5% above the forecast set at the start of 2012. Despite growing, the 2012 new car market was still 14.9% or some 360,000 units below the 2007 market outturn.
The Ford Fiesta was the best selling model of 2012, retaining the position held since 2009.
|DECEMBER||% Change||YEAR-TO-DATE||% Change|
|MARQUE||2012||% Market share||2011||% Market share||2012||% Market share||2011||% Market share|
Sectors: Vehicle markets
Companies: Ford, Alfa, Aston, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Citroen, Daihatsu, Fiat, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lotus, Maserati, Mazda, Mercedes, MINI, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Porsche, Proton, Renault, Saab, SEAT, Skoda, Ssangyong, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volkswagen, Volvo
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
Urgent and concerted action needs to be taken to address the contentious issue of automotive over-capacity in Europe, but also in developing markets according to a study by KPMG....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
Ford China's sales in the first half of 2013 soared 47% year on year to 407,721 units, driven by continued strong demand for the Focus, Kuga and Transit, the automaker said. June sales rose 44% to 75,...
This report is based on an in-depth market analysis with inputs from industry experts. The report covers the Americas and the APAC and EMEA regions; it also covers the Global Advanced Driver Assistanc...
Strong demand for trucks drove Canadian new vehicle sales overall higher in June though sales of passenger cars slipped compared with a year ago, data compiled by DesRosiers Automotive Consultants sho...
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Big fish eaten by bigger fish
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: The UK's Scotland and EU parallels
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- PARIS DEBUTS: Kia Optima diesel hybrid concept
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Jaguar launches India assembled XJ
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- GM Holden starts axing engineers - report
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn