THE WEEK THAT WAS: Ford nets billions, Toyota recalls another million...
A mixed week of mostly good news, industry niggle in France and financial woes at PSA excepted. Ford booked a healthy US$5.7bn full year net profit for 2012 - our resident commentator weighed in on that here - and Toyota announced yet more recalls totalling about 1.3m units - mostly Corollas but also some Lexus IS. Airbag control modules and wiper bolt tightness.
According to one analyst, the airbag recall will hit Toyota by about $55m, and, once again, the industry reckoned said the unit count was high as a result of using common parts across so many models.
Chryler also reported a good set of 2012 results, propping up majority shareholder Fiat which did reasonably well outside Europe. Fiat's growing debt reportedly is concerning some investors, and the news of the updated product plan was also of interest - get ready for a Ram-badged Fiat Doblo van.
Outside Europe, investments in new factories and facilities are continuing - just this week we had Maruti Suzuki talking about a fourth plant in India, multiple planned plants in Brazil as new entrants, especially the Chinese, digest and act on the new government local production blueprint, Isuzu's plans for an Indian plant, paint and press shop improvements at GM's Fairfax plant in Kansas and expansion of its powertrain engineering facility in Pontiac (the city, not the [RIP, sob] brand), Michigan. Mazda also announced a new transmission plant in Thailand and Nissan opened a new paint plant at Smyrna, Tennessee, replacing the shop opened with the plant back in 1983.
Have a nice weekend.
Graeme Roberts, Deputy Editor, just-auto.com
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis,...
Quarterly results season is with is again with some passable numbers from the biggies already in and more to come. As usual, we have grouped the coverage together in one handy spot....
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
The Toyota group sold 4.91m units in the first half of 2013, making it the world's top car seller in the period for the second straight year....
Datamonitor's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organ...
Nissan Motor plans to churn out about 40% more luxury vehicles at its factory in Tochigi Prefecture this fiscal year in anticipation of increased exports to North America....
- Jaguar Land Rover's lightweight future
- INTERVIEW: Ford of Europe's chief, Stephen Odell
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Scale and mega-platforms
- GENEVA WRAP: Europe still struggles, future bright
- GENEVA: Apple launches car iOS
- 'One Ford' has kept us alive in Europe
- GENEVA: Jaguar names 'small' saloon XE
- JLR reported close to Saudi Arabia factory deal
- GENEVA SHOW: World premieres [final list]
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Dacia: The no frills automotive brand, that is becoming a serious world contender
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- China’s One-Child Policy is Shaping a New Automotive Landscape
- Global light vehicle HVAC market 2008 to 2028