Brooks On OEM Product Trends
By: Glenn Brooks
Analyst Glenn Brooks looks at OEM new product developments in the context of company strategies and market trends
The following vehicles were world premieres at the 2015 Los Angeles auto show.
The world premieres of several vehicles from FCA and GM took place at the 2015 Dubai International Motor show.
The SAIC GM Wuling joint venture will reveal a new small sedan, the Baojun 330, at the Guangzhou motor show later this month.
Yet another model has been added to just-auto's 2016 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) world premieres list.
A list of world premieres at the 2015 Tokyo motor show appears below.
It has no rich parent; no manufacturing plant in Europe; sells no hybrids, EVs or PHEVs. Plus, a new roadster has just been added to the model range of this non-premium brand. A recipe for disaster, then. Not at all: Mazda is outselling Toyota, Peugeot and Fiat in Germany. And, it's closing on Nissan.
'Egea' has been revealed as the model name for the sedan variant of TOFAS and FCA's Aegea Project cars. A Fiat five-door hatchback and an estate will follow, with the UK importer telling just-auto the latter two cars will be sold here in 2016. Both models will be imports from TOFAS-FCA's Bursa plant in Turkey.
After building a combined 94,401 units of its F-150 and F-Series Super Duty pick-ups in August, Ford has ramped up production further, with 96,504 made in September.
This presentation by Elon Musk is half an hour long but well worth watching. It demonstrates yet again that Tesla Motors doesn't do many things in the same way as other car companies.
Porsche is now the sixth brand to have announced a world premiere for the 2016 Geneva motor show.
In the second and final part of this month's management briefing, we take a look at the stand out concepts, production cars and trends seen at the 2015 Frankfurt IAA motor show.
Impressed by Jaguar's 203% year on year sales rise in August? That's of course down to the addition of the XE, but the leaping cat brand wasn't the British market's fastest riser last month: that award goes to SsangYong, its registrations rocketing by 262%. The new Tivoli has clearly hit the market at exactly the right time.
Is there a better example of the integration of FCA's R&D and manufacturing operations than the Jeep Cherokee? A front- and all-wheel drive Fiat CUSW platform, production in the US but soon to be expanded to China, and plans to develop additional models based on shared platforms - Jeep might have an all-American image but this is now a global brand.
Various world premieres were announced at the 2015 IAA Cars in Frankfurt am Main and we continued to update just-auto's global debuts list. Media preview days were 15 & 16 September.
It might only be the third best seller in its UK market class, but the Passat is climbing quietly up the sales charts. Last month, it even outsold one of the big success stories of 2015, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class.
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- Indian summer for SsangYong - ANALYSIS
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- VW Group reins in capital spending
- Bosch investigated for role in VW scandal
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Volkswagen making progress on diesel emissions fix
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030